BDU News and Events
Kemi Olaniyi Selected for Herff Jones - Pay it Forward Award
Kemi Olaniyi a senior BDU scholar was selected this week to receive the Herff Jones Pay It Forward award for her dedication to helping others and strong community involvement. Kemi was fitted by our Herff Jones representative Joel Stacey for a free class ring to recognize her kind and generous spirit.
BOAC Club Sponsored by Mr. Al Coleman
Also, did you know that BDU has it's own chapter of Brother's of Another Color that started this year? They are discussing their participation in the upcoming Laser Tag Tournament!
Business Professionals of America Competition
Senior Marissa Bethancourth finished 1st in Advanced Accounting at the District Leadership Conference Business Professionals of America competition and will be going on to the State competition in March. She also finished 5th in the Advanced Spreadsheets competition. Marissa has been accepted to the Business Program at Butler and will attend there this fall to major in Accounting.
Sophomore Justin Little finished 12th in PC Servicing and Repair. Justin is an IT major at BDU. Junior Pritali Patel a business major at BDU also finished 10th in Prepared Speech. Senior Ryan Ward and business major at BDU also competed in Interviewing.
NCEBC Youth "Speak Out" Summit
Five of our BDU Scholars had an opportunity this past week to travel to Pike Township representing Wayne Township at a NCEBC Youth "Speak Out" Summit in Pike Township that was recorded by WFYI for future televising of the event. These students were chaperoned by our internship coordinator Al Coleman who also attended the event and the group received great feedback from everyone for their leadership skills and knowledge.
Ericka Davis, Stephanie Luangraj, Rosa Ramos, Savannah Scoggins, and Nabil Bensalah all participated in the event.
Ben Davis University High School is a small, focused high school program where students can earn a Core 40 high school diploma while also earning college credits toward an Associate Degree from Vincennes University through dual credit opportunities. The program will include internships with business partners, project based learning, and inquiry learning. The program design is sometimes referred to as an early college high school.
What Makes BDU So Special? Amos Brown, radio talk show host visited BDU and interviewed administration, parents, staff, current and alumni students on what makes BDU so special. View photos taken from his interviews.
Whats New at Ben Davis University?
These Ben Davis University students calculate the elasticity of demand in economics class.
January You Make
A Difference Winner
Mrs. Efila Jzar
Significant Components of BDU
- Small, personalized school environment promoting the inclusion and belonging of all students
- Advisory program designed to promote strong student-teacher relationships as well as provide academic, social, and behavioral support for students as they are enrolled in rigorous courses
- Dual credit courses for all students in one of four majors
- Frequent, detailed communication with students and their parents
- Teachers/instructors who meet Vincennes University’s faculty criteria
- Free college tuition for students, provided by the school district at a reduced rate as negotiated with Vincennes University
- Daily schedule which includes additional study and resource time for all students
- Daily schedule which includes collaboration time for staff
- Utilization of technology, 21st century skills, and project based learning
- Student internships in grades 11 and 12
- Peer tutoring and study tables available after school Monday through Thursday
- Student application process which requires attainment of 11 or more credits in grade 9, minimum grade point average of 2.2, and demonstrated motivation and commitment; many students are also first generation college
Degree Program Options
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Liberal Arts
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Business Management
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Information Technology
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Health Careers