BDUHS News and EventsVincennes University Staff Collaboration
Ben Davis University High School is grateful for the collaboration and support of our BDU Scholars by our Vincennes University staff! Jane Hunckler is a VU Learning Coach who has done a phenomenal job expanding her peer tutoring program to occur not only during our SRT time, but also during our directed studies! Peer tutors are trained by Jane in tutoring practices to use in assisting other students in courses that they have mastered. At the same time, Jane has also started a very successful Credit Intervention program which runs each period of the day. Students are pulled during their SRT or directed study time for individual tutoring and assignment tracking to ensure that they complete missing assignments. She also facilitates and supervises opportunities for students to study for exams, retake assessments, or guides them through completed assessments to help them reflect on their work.
VU Adjunct Professor Dr. Ray who is utilizing her double class period to facilitate study groups as they prepare for an anatomy quiz for her Biology 111 course. She is frequently recognized by our alumni as a key contribution to their success in their advanced science courses in college.
VU Tutor Teresa Middleton tutors students frequently and works with them to review their writing assignments and essays prior to submission.
We are very thankful for our Vincennes University partnership and the additional supports that we are able to have for our scholars through their collaboration and effort!
Ben Davis University High School is a small, focused high school program where students can earn a Core 40 high school diploma while also earning college credits toward an Associate Degree from Vincennes University through dual credit opportunities. The program will include internships with business partners, project based learning, and inquiry learning. The program design is sometimes referred to as an early college high school.
What Makes BDU So Special? Amos Brown, radio talk show host visited BDU and interviewed administration, parents, staff, current and alumni students on what makes BDU so special. View photos taken from his interviews.
Whats New at Ben Davis University?
At Ben Davis University High School, students are honored for their academic success and making school attendance a priority. The students attending this luncheon fiesta had perfect attendance, or had straight A's for the first semester of this year or all of 2012.
March You Make
A Difference Winner
Mrs Jillian Markus
BDU's 3rd Annual Speed Interviews
Significant Components of BDUHS
- Small, personalized school environment promoting the inclusion and belonging of all students
- Advisory program designed to promote strong student-teacher relationships as well as provide academic, social, and behavioral support for students as they are enrolled in rigorous courses
- Dual credit courses for all students in one of four majors
- Frequent, detailed communication with students and their parents
- Teachers/instructors who meet Vincennes University’s faculty criteria
- Free college tuition for students, provided by the school district at a reduced rate as negotiated with Vincennes University
- Daily schedule which includes additional study and resource time for all students
- Daily schedule which includes collaboration time for staff
- Utilization of technology, 21st century skills, and project based learning
- Student internships in grades 11 and 12
- Peer tutoring and study tables available after school Monday through Thursday
- Student application process which requires attainment of 11 or more credits in grade 9, minimum grade point average of 2.2, and demonstrated motivation and commitment; many students are also first generation college
Degree Program Options:
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Liberal Arts
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Business Management
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Information Technology
- Associates of General Studies Degree - Health Careers